Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February fun

It's time for some more fun photos from our family.

These are the white ski boots I use when I ski.
These are the Burton boots I use when I snowboard.
 This is my board with the step-in bindings.

This is my first day back on my board.  I boarded for a few runs with my girls as they skied and then after 4 easy runs, I called it quits & skied with them instead.  Some of you may remember that 3 years ago, I fell snowboarding & broke both wrists. I thought I had given it up, but I had a little bit of a desire to try again last year & didn't, but this year, I contacted the family whom I had given my boots & bindings.  They had not used them in the last 3 years & they had just been sitting in their back shed.  Needless to say, they did need some cleaning up with clorox wipes & I think there might have been mouse poo in one of my boots. Got it all vacuumed out & wiped out.  I think I have the cutest board around!  On the green side, there is a graphic of a little boy sitting on his bed with his teddy bear & his airplane looking out his bedroom window at the moon.  On the blue side, he is hanging onto his plane with one hand & his bear with the other as they fly around the moon & look back into his bedroom. 

The next day, I went back to the mountain & met up with a group of hard booters who were on the mountain for an event called Trenchfest - specifically just for snowboarders who wear hard boots & ride on skinny race boards.  I had a gal named Kathy give me some pointers on how to ride better.  This board is so very different than mine!  It turns on a dime!  So my toe edge happens much sooner than I am used to and just rolling my foot inside my boots made the board turn the way I wanted.  I didn't have to spend a lot of effort to kick out the back foot to make the turns.  This board responds much quicker.  And because she was given this board for free, she gave it to me for free.  Those are her bindings.  I'm not sure if I'll keep the board, but at least she only lives a couple of hours away, so I can give it all back if I need to.  I haven't been brave enough to try this board again, but have gone 3 more times on my board.  I always bring both my board and my ski equipment as I know that I will get tired from boarding & need to switch to skis.  It's funny, I HEAT UP like crazy when I'm boarding & don't need hand warmers or the extra glove liner, but as soon as I go back to skiing, my hands are freezing!  The last time I boarded (the 5th time) I was with my hubby & we went all the way to top of the mountain.  I chickened out about 3/4 of the way down because I let the hill intimidate me and I decided to just sit on my board & slide down the hill.  Not the safest way to get down the hill, but it sure was fun! After this adventure, I'm putting up the board again for a while & sticking with skiing.  I found that while I am boarding, I am constantly talking to myself, reminding myself what to do and keep second guessing my decisions.  With skiing, I just go down the hill & don't even think about what I am doing. It's almost like it's second nature.  Plus the hubby says I look way better (more comfortable) when I'm skiing!


This is a dog named Lyla that we babysit every so often.  She's a lot of fun.


So they had this silly poster on the window at Dairy Queen, so we had the girls stand behind it.  They are supposed to look like elves.  I think it said something about ridqulous yourself.  My oldest definitely did a good job trying to make it look like she was drinking from the straw, whereas my youngest pressed her nose & cheeks against the glass!

Tried to take a photo from the car as we passed some wild turkeys, but you can hardly see the 3 of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment