Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Feb 19 meal prep

I haven't posted any pictures or updates for a couple of weeks because of all the meals I had prepared in January.  We've been using them!  So when the hubby got paid last week, I was able to use more of the food budget for mostly non-perishable items instead!  Although I did buy some salmon & cod at Costco as well as some more organic chicken.

We had a funny / not so funny thing happen this weekend with the Maple Oat Waffle mix.  My oldest decided she wanted to mix it up, so she took it upon herself to do that.  I came into the kitchen a little while later & saw that she had almost uncooked pancakes on a plate (they were still white & not browned at all) and some very lumpy batter almost completely filling the bowl.  I asked her if she had followed the instructions on the freezer zip lock bag and she said no, she had only dumped in some of the dry ingredients & added water.  Oh boy!  She had not added any of the maple syrup called for & definitely did not measure out the dry ingredients or the water.  She just kept adding water until it wasn't so thick!  I salvaged the mess by  measuring out of her bowl what might have been a double portion of mix plus water & added a double portion of syrup.  The rest of what was left looked to be about another double portion, so I added a double portion of syrup to that as well.  I also got out a whisk & beat the batter in both bowls to help get rid of all the lumps & dry material stuck to the bottom of the bowl.  By the time I was done, my arm was ready to fall off.  I think I should have grabbed my hand blender & used that instead.  Oh well.  I then proceeded to use the correct frying pan & made pancakes with the mix.  They all came out nice & brown & thoroughly cooked!

We had to then have a lesson in all of these meals I have been preparing.  My family needs to read the instructions written on the outside of every bag or container in the freezer.

Today was my day to go to my Esther Bible study, so I got up when the alarm went off & went to work out.  I love doing the Leslie Sansone 21 days before Thanksgiving abs that is on Youtube as it is only 7 minutes long & it is super effective!  I then decided to get on Wii Fit Plus instead of an exercise video & started with the mushroom bump and ended with the Island Bike ride (right next to the mushroom bump) and chose to do the Expert ride trying to find 20 flags.  Let me tell you, that was a workout this morning!  I missed one of the flags up by the light house so had to ride all over at the end to find that one missing flag, but I did find all 20 & rode over 11 miles (actually walked in place for the whole time).  My calves were burning & I was dripping.  So as soon as I was done, hopped in the shower, did hair & makeup & off to my Bible study I went.

Once I was home, the hubby arrived shortly after as he went snowboarding this morning before work.  He started making his prize-winning chili & I decided to also work on some more food prep.  I had an eggplant in the fridge so needed to do something with it before it went bad.  The hubby asked for eggplant parmigiana and I know I'm not a fan of it & more than likely the kids won't be either.  Found a recipe in the Better Homes & Garden cookbook.  The eggplant is supposed to be peeled, then cut into 1/2 inch slices, but I decided to shred it instead.  I used 5 of my little bread loaf pans to prepare it.  First I put in the shredded eggplant, then the shredded parmigiana cheese, then marinara sauce, then shredded mozzarella cheese. I shredded 3 sticks of string cheese as I didn't have any other mozzarella.  Then into the freeze it went.  It is great for a side dish when the main dish is pasta, chicken or fish, so I think I've got that covered.



I then worked on creating 4 meals from my wonderful new cookbook, Not Your Mother's Make Ahead & Freeze Meals cookbook.

The first 2 meals was Hoisin-Glazed Salmon Fillets.  I pulled out the frozen salmon & put 4 pieces in each zip lock bag.  In quart freezer bags, I put the Hoison sauce marinade. (Sorry, didn't take a picture).

Next, I prepared the Crumb-Topped Cod Fillets. The great think about both the cod & the salmon is that each piece is individually wrapped, so it makes it super easier to pull out the number of pieces you need for these make-ahead meals.  The bag contained 5 pieces, so I separated them into 3 & 2 pieces for this recipe.  I used quart freezer bags for the crumb topping, but only put 1/2 of the amounts in one for the 2 piece meal.


I also pulled out from the freezer, the chicken breasts, the Italian sausage and some bacon, so I can use them in some other meals.

The dinner this evening was Chicken Enchilada Bake with Green Chiles and Jalapenos.  As I said before, I'm not a fan of green chile or jalapenos, so there were no jalapenos in this recipe & very little green chile.  This is a cream based recipe with sour cream & cream of celery soup.  I found it very delicious and I ate it with tortilla strips from Costco, almost using it as a dip for the chips.  My girls were not thrilled with it, but they both finished what I gave them.  Here is a photo of the cooked recipe.


My oldest decided she was still hungry, so she dished up some of her daddy's chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment